Everyone in the house seems to have caught a virus including my computer. So while I was able to fix the computer (well not me personally, but my Comcast tech support .. it took 3 hours but it got fixed…that was an experience by itself that I’m saving for another post), the human virus seems to be lingering. Erika requested tortilla soup so this past weekend I made some. Here’s my recipe, created from when I’ve experimented over the years trying to recreate the Tortilla soup from La Milpa restaurant in Milpitas, CA. They have the best… while theirs is the best … mine is “pretty close” (so says Erika).
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1 small can of sliced mushrooms or 1/2 cup of fresh mushrooms
- season with fresh cilantro (I use alot), salt to taste, cumin powder, a little chili powder, garlic powder, 1 Knorr or Goya bouillon chicken cube
- shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- avocado slices
- lime slices
- tortilla chips
- a dollop of sour cream (I leave the cream off, but some like it)
- fresh cilantro
- sliced green onions
- Very easy I throw in all the ingredients minus the toppings into large pot filled about 1/2 way with water, boil until chicken is thoroughly cooked (no longer pink). Remove chicken from stock & shred, place back into stock, lower flame and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Serve over bowl with tortilla chips already in bowl then top with sliced avocado, shredded Monterey Jack cheese, fresh cilantro, sliced green onions and lime slices.